Birthday Cake Popcorn!

I talk a lot about how I like to do my baking with items I have on hand.  While going through my cupboards this morning, I noticed I had a half package of candy coating just begging to be used.  Immediately my mind went to this recipe from Pizzazzerie that I recently read, but I knew I wanted to switch it up just a bit.  Enter, BIRTHDAY CAKE POPCORN!

BIRTHDAY CAKE POPCORN

Popped popcorn (I used 1 cup popcorn kernels popped on the stove top)
Half package of almond bark or candy coating
2-4 tablespoons white cake mix
Birthday sprinkles

DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt candy coating in the microwave or stove top.
2. Add DRY cake mix to the melted candy. I used 2 heaping tablespoons.
3. Pour candy coating over popcorn and mix together.
4. Add your birthday sprinkles and allow to cool.
5. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

That sounds delicious and looks amazing! Did it really taste like cake though?!? I tried to something similar with rice krispies and sugar cookie mix and it didn’t take very sugar cookie-ish for some reason! Maybe cake mix just tastes better than sugar cookie mix:)

• says

Thanks, Kelli! To me, it tasted like cake batter, as opposed to tasting like cake…although, in my opinion, both are good! I’m curious about the sugar cookie Rice Krispie treat, I’ve never heard of that before!

2. Valerie says

I made this for St. Patrick’s Day and added Lucky Charms with the popcorn and a touch of green sprinkles on top! Will use this recipie over and over for any holiday!

3. jess says

Hi,

If I want to make tonight but serve tomorrow night, what is the best way to store? Airtight container? I am concerned it may get soggy.

• says

I’d suggest an air tight container or maybe a large Ziploc bag. I don’t know that I’d be so worried about it getting soggy since the coating hardens up quickly, but this should keep the popcorn from going stale. Let me know how it turns out!!!

4. Tera says

Okay, so I do not have a baking bone in my body, so forgive this novice question. Candy coating is like what comes in the packages and they are disks, right? I want yo make this for my son’s carnival themed birthday party. And you only use 2 tbs of cake mix, right? Thank you for helping out this novice baking mom. :o)

• says

Tera, You absolutely can use the melting discs in the baking aisle if you want. The candy coating I used is called Candiquik and comes in a blue package in the baking aisle of your grocery store, near the chocolate chips. Either one will work just fine.

And yes, I used 2 tbs of cake mix, but feel free to add more or less to taste…you can never have too much cake flavor! (Actually, I wouldn’t recommend putting too much more, or you may alter the texture of the melted chocolate.)

Good luck and enjoy!! I know you can do it!!

5. Kate says

My family is throwing a Pink Party for my mom as she has officially won her battle with breast cancer. I will be adding these to our dessert table, with pink sprinkles of course!

6. says

I am making these for my son’s birthday, he LOVES popcorn. About how many does a bag of popcorn make if you put them in cupcake liners like the picture shows? Trying to figure up how many bags I need to make to have about 50 “cupcakes” popcorn balls.

7. June says

Absolutely a huge success for an 11 yr old girl swim party… Easy to make… tastes great… I may make popcorn this way for lots of occasions now. white melting discs were easy to melt in microwave… didn’t pour particularly well over popcorn but was easy to mix up the candy and popcorn with your hands to spread it all over.